A little science work

It's been awhile since I have gotten the chance to post what we have been doing in school. We have been working our way through the animal kingdoms. This week we are starting on reptiles, but last week we covered amphibians. We watched a movie we checked out from our library which A asked to watch over and over. She was able to tell me the characteristics all amphibians share and name several types. We then explored the life cycle of the frog.

The week before we discussed the class arthropods and specifically insects and spiders (and what's the difference) . We did a lot of different work with this group, but unfortunately I didn't snap any pics. So I just snapped a few of some of the worksheets she did from her favorite science book.

We started our exploration of animal kingdoms by learning the differences between vertebrates and invertebrates. I printed out x-rays of different animals and we looked at their body structure, paying close attention to the presence of a backbone. I then had A classify the x-rays into categories.
Later in the week, A classified animals into vertebrates or invertebrates by using her existing knowledge of the animal. I wrote animal names on slips of paper and had her draw them out of the pile and place them in the group that they belong.

Alright, that's it for tonight. Off to bed. I have been dealing with a cold for the past few days and Dh has caught it now. I am better although still sniffling, sneezing, and coughing. I am just hoping A doesn't catch it next.

Comments