A Monday nature walk

Monday was a beautiful day. It started off overcast and a little drizzly, but progressively got nicer as the day progress. It was warm too...in the mid 50's with just a slight breeze, so A and I decided to take advantage of it and head out for a nature walk around the house.

Our first sight was this bald eagle who we startled by coming up the steps. I was glad I had my camera with me. We were able to capture this amazing shot.
They are absolutely majestic creatures....and so powerful!


A of course turned over rocks looking for more snails, worms, and slugs. When I see this pic, I am reminded of the nursery rhyme in a book from my childhood...

What are little boys made of?
What are little boys made of?
Slugs and snails
and puppy dog tails.
That's what little boys are made of.
What are little girls made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and Spice
and everything nice.
That's what little girls are made of.
 Not my little girl. She loves her slugs, snails, and puppy dog tails...not to mention her camo. :)

We continued on our walk and enjoyed searching out the flowers that are finally starting to bloom. 
Spring has been slow coming, but it is finally here.

May Flowers- just a month late LOL.
Only a few are in bloom so far.

A beautiful orchid. I will have to look up the name of this one again, but I love these and they are popping up all over the place.

The tundra is coming alive


And you can see, it is really trying to green up, but it just is not there yet. There is still more brown on the hills than green. But hey, the snow is melting and my beautiful girl is smiling. Nothing tops that.

We headed down the hill and I snapped this pic. Quintessential spring- the dandelion, with Unalaska lake in the background. Beautiful. This just became my new cover picture on facebook. LOL

We weren't the only ones out and about excited for spring. The bees were enjoying the day as well. 
The salmonberry blossoms are irresistible, and the dandelions must have been sweet too.




I really just love this time of year!

It's so nice to finally be outside without jackets, without snow, and to be free to play and run in the tundra.

A and I had fun picking some flowers to take home.





A lovely bouquet now graces my window.

The sun was shining and the air was warm, a perfect night for grilling...and finishing with marshmallows roasted over the charcoal.




Night all.

Comments