Shrimp Etouffe Smothered Alaskan Salmon


My mom will be here in less than a week! I am so excited. I love having my mom here, and I love cooking for her. Well I have already started planning the menu and I realized I never posted this 101 Ways to Cook Fish recipe! I can't believe that because it is one of my all time favorites. It is somewhat time consuming, but the end result is worth every minute. There is nothing better than combining my Louisiana heritage with my love for Alaskan subsistance! So on that note, I give to you, Shrimp Etouffe Smothered Alaskan Salmon. YUM!


 Look at that! I know you are just dying for the recipe, so here it goes.

1 green bell pepper- chopped
1 yellow bell pepper- chopped
1 red bell pepper- chopped
1/2 to 1 cup chopped celery
1 bunch of green onions chopped
2TBS olive oil
4TBS butter
4tsps minced garlic
1 cup white wine
Tony's Cajun Seasoning
flour and oil for roux
3/4 cup orange juice
24 medium sized shrimp- mine are the already peeled frozen kind LOL.
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1 cup cream
1 large salmon fillet
cooked rice

In a large pan,  heat olive oil and 2 TBS of butter.  Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add 2 tbs of the wine to deglaze pan.
Add diced bell peppers, celery and green onions and saute for  2 to 3 minutes. Add a generous amount of Tony's Seasoning ) I didn't measure but I would say about 4 TBS depending on your preference.Add the final 2 TBS of butter. Turn off heat while you make roux.

In a small sauce pan heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Slowly add 1/4 cup flour, stirring constantly over medium heat until roux thickens and reaches desired color. For this I aim for a honeyed brown color.

Turn heat back on sauteed vegtrables. Stir in 1/3 cup of the roux mixture and stir to combine. Continue to stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Stir in 3/4 cup orange juice and turn down heat. Let simmer until mixture is reduced and nice and thick. Add in shrimp and cooking sherry. Simmer on low for 5 minutes and stir in heavy cream.
Now this is the most important step.....stop yourself from eating the entire etouffe sauce while you cook the salmon! LOL. Trust me, that part is very hard to do! :)

Now, you want to let your sauce simmer on very low heat while you cook your salmon fillets. I used one large sockeye salmon fillet, seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Cook at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

Plate salmon on bed of rice and top with etoufee sauce....ENJOY!



Comments