Appistoki Falls/Two Medicine Lake- Glacier National Park

Sunday was an absolutely beautiful day here in Northern Montana. 
It was perfect hiking weather, so we headed over to the Two Medicine are of Glacier National Park. 
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the absolute majesty and stark beauty of the park.
We are truly blessed to have such a place in  our backyard.
I needed this reminder. As of late, my heart has been aching for the beauty and simplicity of my life in Alaska. 
Where I loved was one of those places that leaves a lasting impression on your heart. Add to that the slowness of life, the friends I left, and the beauty that was at every turn, my mind has been wandering to my memories far to often.
I need to remember God's perfect plan. To live my life in the present and not wish it away.
That is what Sunday did for me.


This was the first time I had been to the Two Medicine area of the park. If you don't know, Glacier NP is HUGE but most people travel the Going to the Sun Road. The two medicine entrance is smaller and definitely a jewel.

Beauty towered above us and lay at our feet.

We decided on a quick hike to Appistoki Falls.
Of course, here in Montana you have to be bear aware. Didn't have that problem on our island in Alaska.

The hike through the woods was beautiful. A said we were in an enchanted forest.


We hiked to the falls which fell into a deep gorge.

I wore little W in my Tula and he was a happy boy.



Just gorgeous.

We found lots of wild strawberries and even a few that were beginning to ripen.



The bear grass was in full bloom. A and her friends call these magical scepters.


There are just so many magical finds if you just take the time to look around you.


Meadows of wildflowers....

Wild sheep sorrel perfect for a quick snack.

This plant's leaves taste like the peel of a granny smith apple!


After the hike, a picnic snack at the lake seemed like a great idea.



Halfway through our snack, these guys decided to join us!
Bighorn Sheep....No zoom used on these pics....I could have stuck my arm out and touched them!

It was an incredible experience. The entire herd hung out in front of us for close to 20 minutes.


The baby was adorable. None of them were even the least bit skittish.
It was a surreal experience.



I was sitting on the picnic table when this one walked right beside me!

An amazing ending to an incredible day!

Comments

Tammie Lee said…
Hello,

Lovely to meet you through blog land. I camped at Two Medicine last summer and had a lovely time there. Hike up to upper Grinnell Lake, it was beautiful. Perhaps these same goats wandered the camp ground then. I enjoyed watching them too. So lovely to see your photos and consider being there. Loved that you snacked on Sorrel. Wishing you a good time on the Sun Road. It is so nice this year without road work going on.
Karen said…
WOWOWOW!!!!

I've never been to Montana but it looks so beautiful! How I would love a hike with you and your beautiful family! You could point out the gorgeous wildflowers you have learned about. :)